Friday, October 31, 2014

35-02 Tires & Wheels

This page took a couple of days, but it was fun because I was working in a new domain.  Steps 1 & 2 were straight forward:  drill 3/8” into the firewall and engine mounts and attach the engine standoff.  On the other hand, drilling though stainless steel and then steel was not easy.  Rather make the jump from 1/4” to 3/8” in one pass, I staged up the drilling in 3 steps.

IMG 3720

Engine Mount Standoff


With the engine standoff taken care of, I turned my attention to the tires & wheels.  Never worked on these before.  Learned quite a bit!  Specifically, I learned that it’s really easy to get the “front” and “back” confused.  I admit to reassembling and disassembling the 1st wheel several times.  I actually re-assembled it a bit farther than I was supposed to.  i’ll have to take the brake off again when I put it on the plane.  On the other hand, I had watched Walt Erdy, my mechanic for the Cardinal, change a tire so I had previously seen how to use the talc powder, etc.  I was pretty pleased with my progress of assembling the front and both main wheels.

IMG 3721

Main Wheel, outside face

 

IMG 3722

Main Wheel, inside face, with brake

 

IMG 3723

Inboard Main Gear Attach Braces

No comments:

Post a Comment