Tuesday, March 17, 2015

38-05 Lower Cowl fitted

I was actually amazed with this bit of progress!  For many months I’ve been worried that Something Bad lurked in shadows.  I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to slide the lower cowl over the front gear leg and the exhaust pipe, but that took only a few minutes of creative twisting & turning before I figured it out.  I kept reassuring myself that other people take the cowl off with engine installed every day.  The trick is to put the gear leg in the slot, lower the cowling to the right and tilted with the open end down and you can slide the exhaust through the appropriate slot and then the rest of the cowl fits nicely.  In the photo below, you can see a red clamp next the battery.  That’s all it takes to keep the cowl in place, just the two clamps.

 

IMG 4117

lower cowl fit to airframe


 

IMG 4118

Upper to Lower cowl hinge

 I put a small dot on the cowling where the bolt will be drilled through to secure the upper to lower cowl hinge pin.  Note the black triangle on the lower cowl.  I wasn’t sure if that needed to be trimmed or not, so I left it in place until I was sure.  Yep, it’s gone now.

 

IMG 4119

close up of the “flag"

No comments:

Post a Comment