Sunday, June 21, 2015

12-08 Fairing Fit vs Rudder

The fairing was re-assembled and clamped to the tail after the Vert Stab & Rudder were re-assembled.  BTW, I didn’t use all of the bolts and washers to attach the Vert Stab & Rudder because I’m going to be removing them after I finish running the control cables (otherwise I can’t get the plane out of the garage!)  You can see a steel ruler taped in place to verify that there’s => 1/8” clearance from rudder to the fairing.  You can also see the rudder trim tab that is a $5 option from Van’s.  Because it’s a Van’s part and they have no objection to placing on the -12, I can do so prior to finishing Phase 1 flyoff (assuming that OK City ever gets around to issuing my registration so I can obtain an airworthiness certificate!)

Unfortunately, I ran out of time before I could put on the horizontal stab and finish up the fairing.  On the other hand, I’m not going to be working in the garage for another 5 days, and the H stab is going to completely block the use of the garage door.  Even if they’re not aware of it, I think my family appreciates my not blocking the door earlier than needed.

IMG 4451

Rudder vs Fairing

No comments:

Post a Comment