Monday, June 3, 2013

Getting Started

OK, so I did it.  I finally committed to building my own airplane.  I’ve been wanting to do this since about 7th grade, if I recall correctly.  

I’m a proud part-owner of a C177RG, N7623V, which is a great cross country IFR machine.  I have to have a valid medical in order to fly her. Since I’ve had a bout of kidney stones, I know that I’m at high risk for future occurrences.  While the FAA did grant me permission to fly again, I don’t know how many times I can expect that kind of beneficence from a government agency such as the FAA.   On the other hand, the RV-12 is a Light Sport Aircraft that is specifically designed for me—an inexperienced builder who is capable of reading directions and wants a cheap-to-fly flitter for Sunday mornings and $100 Hamburgers.  As a Light Sport Aircraft, I won’t need a valid medical to fly it, so this is my retirement airplane.  I’m guessing it will take 3 years to build.  Let’s find out.  

The photo above is my garage, where the RV-12 will take shape.   Cars are moving out of the garage, work tables will be assembled and tools installed and stored.  Stay tuned.....

 IMG 0002 2

No comments:

Post a Comment