Friday, June 21, 2013

Metal has been bent; Rivets have been placed

The garage’s transformation into a workshop is 95 % complete, and I finally got into the mental state to actually begin using all of these expensive tools & toys. Two nights ago, I had a bad case of insomnia (from switching from nights to day shift) and finally got out of bed at 3:00 and got started on building the toolbox. One of the things that has been eating at me for over a month is the fact that the toolbox is “supposed” to be made using driven rivets, and I have no rivet gun (nor any desire to have/use one.) I finally came to the realization that the goal of the training kits is to train me to use the techniques that are used in the RV-12, not to train me to be a general purpose sheet metal worker. With that, I decided to simply use pop rivets where ever it was not possible to place squeezed rivets. Viola: a relevant training project. That particular insight came at about 2:00, hence getting out of bed at 3:00 AM and clamping and drilling to put on the side plates of the toolbox.

The next day, Lada & I took a 1 day vacation, but upon my return I worked straight through 4 hours to do all of the rest of the toolbox. I completed it at exactly 5:00, just in time for me to get ready for work.

IMG 0005 2

I probably won’t be able to get back to the work shop for at least 10 days or so. I’m working 4 straight nights, then flying down to New Orleans for the birth of my first granddaughter. (She has a serious heart defect, so I’m half & half happy and scared to death. Wish us well and think good thoughts for Christine, Andrew and baby Morgan.)

No comments:

Post a Comment