Sunday, February 22, 2015

48-02 & 48-03 Exhaust Tubes

I had so much fun that I couldn’t stop with over an hour left before I had to get ready for work, so I dived right into the exhaust system.  These two pages have the same instruction repeated four times: once for each cylinder.  I took the precaution of labeling each exhaust tube before removing it from the muffler.  Good thing I did, ‘cause I was dumb enough to not pay attention and was successful at installing tube #1 on cylinder #4!

The tubes are held to the muffler with very strong springs.  I recall briefly reading that springs must be handled with care and to avoid using metal tools on them to prevent scratches -> stress risers -> cracks -> failures.   I hit upon the idea of using 8” tie wraps because they are soft plastic that is quite strong.  It worked well, and you’ll see a picture later on with a couple still in place since I will have to remove them in a few pages.

 

IMG 4077

Port Exhaust Tubes

 

IMG 4078

Starboard Exhaust Tubes

No comments:

Post a Comment