Before I started drilling, I saw an extra hole (identified by the arrow) that wasn’t called out in any plans or shown on any drawings. Because it was late at night, I decided to do nothing except post a query to VAF. Two replied and said that it was probably a manufacturing hole (used to help create a reference datum for the machining process) and could be safely ignored. Great! Back to work!
Holes drilled into aft face of Center Section
I had a hell of a time drilling at first—that’s a thick piece of metal! I got out my old plug-in electric drill because I figured that I’d burn out or otherwise damage my battery operating drills. About a quarter of the way through the drilling, I remembered a comment about using a bit of lubrication and put a dab of Beolube on to each spot for drilling and I was very impressed at how much easier it was. I did splatter some beolube on my shirt, but that’s a badge of honor now!
Close up of the small parts