Sunday, October 4, 2026

§29-08, 10, 12-15, 17 Left

 Argh.  I was really hoping to finish off this section.  It's all about attaching the grommets and tie-wrap clips to the D ribs and riveting the ribs to the spar.  Surprisingly, it was the riveting of the plastic tie-wrap clips that was problematic.    5 of the 15 clips didn't hold up to the pressure exerted by pulling the pop-rivets and they ended up getting ruined.   While I could have stolen from the supply designated for the Right wing, the rivets that are called out are LP4-4's, not -3's.   I literally have thousands of -3's, but the supply of -4's is actually only half of what is needed and there aren't any surplus to borrow from.  As a result, I'll have to wait until replacements arrive from Van's before I finish out this chapter and move on to installing the wiring harness.

Ruined tie-wrap clips and LP4-4 rivets


I'm getting close to making a major decision.  Should I continue on the left wing alone, set it aside and then do the right wing, OR should I set the left wing on saw horses to use as a reference and build up the right wing skeleton, and then proceed to put skins on both of them?   I need to decide in a week or so.  Keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment