Side project! I’ve been putting together ideas for a few weeks and finally got around to buying the lumber and just building the wing cradle. It’s getting to be a bit tight around the garage, but I have a place to put the wings.
I started off with the “generic wing caddy” from the EAA site:
A few modifications; the outrigger uprights are 24” instead of 12”; the main piece is 8’ long, and I used a full piece of carpet instead of just two straps. I was amazed at how hard it was to cut all of that wood. I also used lots more screws than I thought I would. This thing is built like a tank, definitely overkill.
Here’s the photo with the wing spars resting down in the slings. I’m letting their weight settle the carpet before I secure the top piece with some more staples.
You can’t see them under the lip of carpet, but I did recycle some of the lumber from Van’s crate. The other wood is cheap stuff from Home Depot—much wetter & heavier :(