This was also a pretty straightforward chapter. The Inboard Mixer was nestled into the space just next to the tank and directly in front of the spar attachment area. The holes that were left open for the rear spar attachment were then used to rivet the mixer to the spar. Here's where the infamous Cherry Max Rivets got used -- all 39 of them. These are pull rivets ("pop rivets", although that's actually another brand name) but they are stronger than the typical LP3-4's used nearly everywhere else in the plane. The book says to be sure to pull exactly in line with the stem, but that's not possible with a few of the rivets because there is a flange immediately in the way. I bent the flanges as much as I could and did the best job possible.
For some reason, they decided to have the flap tracks installed in this chapter rather than give them their own chapter. The flap tracks are interesting; they are jet black and I'm not sure if they're aluminum or something else. I am getting better at riveting. There were two rivets that couldn't be bucked with my titanium bar. I used a flat plate of steel and got creative. Worked great!
No comments:
Post a Comment