Saturday, August 22, 2026

Empennage kit unpacked & inventoried

 Lots of grunt work involved in unpacking Van's kits!  The other night I unpacked and inventoried the major items and was very happy that none were missing.  It took a little bit of creative engineering to find places to store everything in the garage / shop, but it's all on shelves or standing behind other shelves.  I will need some help taking down parts of the empennage kit to get to the R wing spar, but that's a solvable problem for another day.

Today I inventoried the "small stuff".   The shipping company didn't pay attention to the "UP" arrows on the crate and it was actually on its side on the first day they tried to deliver it.   As expected, a few of the small parts shifted in their parts bin and were in the wrong bins.   it only took about 30 min to sort everything out and I can't complain too much more than I already have.    

EMP Bin #1 -- lots of 'small stuff' !


I'm about $6 short in parts that weren't in the kit.  I'm not even going to 'claim' them, I just put them into my cart for my next purchase.

Cutting up the crate for disposal was by far the most difficult part of the process.

Cut up crate parts & a pile of sawdust


No comments:

Post a Comment