Monday, August 3, 2026

§ 28 -6 thru 13 -- push rods

 Van's is famous for the smoothness of the control feel of their airplanes.  I think one of the contributing factors is that they use bearings and pushrods whenever possible when designing their flight control linkages.  I had already assembled the rotational bearings in bell cranks.  This post documents building the push rods that attach to them.

I also like a really nice technique they employed for establishing the exact length of the push rods.  When you build one, you can turn the stem of the spherical bearing to move the length in or out by 1/48" at a time.  When I built the RV-12, I remember trying to very precise about my measurement.  In the RV-15, they have you assemble the push rod and then use temporary bolts to insert into holes provided in the main spar.  In other words, the main spar has a jig built in to it.   Very easy to twist the bearings to get a perfect fit -- no tape measure required!

I used blue locktite as a safety feature for the jam nuts and ruined one of the spherical bearings when the locktite dripped on the bearing itself.  Although it felt like it was still moving freely in its race, I expect that it will not remain in good condition for very long.  I tossed it in the junk bucket and ordered another one ($26!) from Van's.

Aileron Push Rods

Push rods, prior to riveting and installation of bearings


I started the final assembly of this chapter where the bellcranks get installed in the mixer and the pushrods get attached to the bellcranks.   Even without the skins on the wing, it's definitely challenging!   I'd like to have a trained capuchin monkey w/ tiny hands to help out.    I am absolutely dreading / afraid of trying to install the flap control mechanism after the wing is closed up!



No comments:

Post a Comment