Well, I had high hopes. As my flight partner, Ed, often comments: "Hope is not a strategy." Despite pre-smearing the adhesive on the mating surfaces, both tanks continue to leak. The good news is that both are leaking in exactly the same place -- the electrical connection at the top right of the fuel senders.
Since both tanks leak at the same place, and that place is where there are 3 stacked components, I clearly need to up my game in that location. On Tuesday, I will pull off the fuel senders and the inboard access ports (again; for the 3rd time). On Thursday, I will make another valiant effort to get these damn things on and air tight!
This time (next time? Anyway, on Thursday) I'm going to repeat the technique of pre-smearing sealant on both of the mating faces. I will then insert the screw for alignment. I will place the first star washer on the screw and coat it with sealant until it is completely 'submerged' in the goo. Then goes the electrical lug which will again be 'submerged'. and finally the 2nd star washer and its immersion. Finally, I will place an absurdly large bead of sealant on one of the faces and finally install it. Hopefully, that will be the final time.
No comments:
Post a Comment