Wednesday, July 10, 2013

confirmation of setback

While I'm out of town, I finished up my research by posting a cry for help on VAF and getting relatively consistent answers, but nothing concrete.  I then wrote to Van's and asked point-blank:

Subject:        Re: identification of nutplates
From:           David Hill <dbhill@dbhill.net>
Date sent:      Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:07:29 -0500
To:             "kens@vansaircraft.com" <kens@vansaircraft.com>

I've made new bins for everything, but I'm still not sure which is
which. Is an -06 smaller or larger than a -3?

-dbh


A # 6 screw is quite a bit smaller than an AN3 bolt, so the threaded opening on a K1000-06 is 
smaller than the one on a K1000-3.  The rivet holes will be the same.

If you're not familiar with basic sizes of screws (#6, #8, etc.) you'll have to learn them.  Then 
there's number drills and decimal fractions, along with imperial fractions.  It will make you 
seriously yearn for the metric system...



Well, I do seriously yearn for the metric system, but this event really rivets my attention on the matter.  (Sorry—couldn't resist.)  I've clearly screwed up and placed K1000-06 nut plates instead of K1000-3's.  When I get home, I will have about 150 rivets to drill out.

Oh, well. This project is all about learning and being an expert de-riveter is a skill, too!

Further perusal of VAF describes using a small nail (or an old mandrel?) to punch out the steel mandrel remnant in the rivet to be drilled out, then using a slightly smaller drill than the original hole calls for (e.g., a 32 or 33 vs. a 30) and possibly a pair of diagonal cutters to prevent the rivet from spinning.  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment