Overall, he seemed to think I was doing well and had no major concerns. He did point out some flush rivets that were a bit proud and could be re-squeezed and expressed some concern about the flares for the fuel lines. He opined that I’ll probably have some leaks, but it was based 50 % on some minor imperfections on my very first flared tube and 50 % on the fact that everyone has fuel leaks. I debated pulling out the fuel system and re-installing all new tubes and fittings, but I reason that there’s a good possibility that at least one of my lines won’t leak and will be usable as currently installed. Yes, removing & re-installing the lines after everything is built will be a royal PIA, but if I yank & replace everything now, I’m pretty sure I won’t learn anything since there’s no information to be gained by removing untested lines.
Bob sent me the text of his comments to EAA. Apparently they EAA have a new on-line submission form, but it doesn’t have a good mechanism for giving feedback to the builder.
Test from the comment box:
This my second visit of David's RV-12 project. David is making good progress. I found no major issues with the build.
We did discuss ensuring that all flush rivets are truly flush, as well as checking the tube flares for cracking and/or burrs. I shared with David the type of tube sealant I used.
Overall, David's RV-12 project is progressing well and built per the plans.